Monday, 16 November 2009

LOG231310-16.777 The Tower and Guido Fink

I'm not sure if i've done enough collecting of notebookage, in that I havn't spent much time sitting outside making notes on the builders working on the road, or the pigeons that frequent the highstreet, or any of the other things that I writer might choose to practice on. Instead I've been using old IDEAS that appeal to me. I'm not sure if this is important, except that my 800 word 'Tale of Guido Fink' contains no description of a physical environment, only a description of the mental state and motives of the narrator. Perhaps that suits the same purpose, except it wasn't mentioned in any of the exercises. I wrote it because it wanted to be written. It was inspired, and I couldn't ignore that. So I'm submitting it to see what my tutor will say to it.

I finished another poem called "The Tower". It seems to fly as a collection of almost haiku's. Again I'm not sure if its what I've been asked for, but its what I wrote, so....

I still need one more poem, and plan to go through my notes on looking through a window, and my the notes I took today while sitting outside a coffee shop, writing something about the wind. But they are conflicting notes, and I'm not sure it'll work. Poetry isn't my strong point, it seems. I could stick with my puny poem "Solitude", but I don't know if it captures its core theme of loss, and the rhyming structure leaves something to be desired.

So far the only piece I feel matches the criteria is called "Amicus Usque Adarat", and is about a cat I saw in a graveyard. The Tower also matches the criteria, in fact. Its really just this 'Tale of Guido Fink' that came up out of nowhere, that adheres to the factual notes I took in my notebook and commonplace book, but not to the descriptive exercises. Or maybe I'm confused - I get lost in exercises.

For clarities sake:
1. The Tower: Poem taken from notes on deserted town, well structured.
2. Amicus Usque Adaras: Prose taken from notes in graveyard, poetic description well caught.
3. The Tale of Guido Fink: Prose taken from long held intrigue with hidden worlds and false appearances, based on fame. An introduction that stops short of the description of London in 1882. Sets a psychology scene, but not a physical one.
4. Solitude: Poem. I'm not sure if this captures anything, or whether its just self pity.

None of them are about birds or bunny rabbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment