Tuesday, 24 November 2009

LOG2313XF-IP.3 What have I learnt?

First assignments in, reviewed the project again and decided I could have done better to just describe a scene and not make a story out of it. I had stories I wanted to tell, and then I saw them all the more clearly in describing things, in my observational writing, and couldn't let the plot just take a back seat.

I need to spend a good deal of time describing things with my eyes closed. Thats one thing I've learnt. Redo this exercise at least five times over the next couple of weeks.

To summarise the import of this project:
1. Go somewhere cool and describe it as a series of objects, using all five senses. Allow associations to develop of their own accord.
2. Highlight the best bits, rework the worst bits, turn them into skeletons.
3. Make lists; turn words and phrases into bones.
This log is now where I come to ramble, rant and mumble, and I've reserved my A5 OCA book for concise reflection, summarised from these pages.

My notebook is a few weeks away from bursting its bindings, which is always something I enjoy. Almost time to deploy the rubber bands. I started a book for exercises from the course text book, but have cut them out and pasted them into my note book. I have started another book for completed or abandoned but valuable drafts, which I will also put my feedback into. It'll become like a sketchbook portfolio.

Spent an hour and a half after work making a list of "People That Fascinate Me", real people I've known. Then free wrote some notes around each name. Will now collect some photographs of people I don't know and do the same thing. When I have done both, I will engage the highlighter and red pen.

It will be interesting to see how they react to being mixed together. Will composites flow freely to create new characters, or will historical fidelity keep them as separate entities?

No comments:

Post a Comment